About Me

My photo
I'm just a country girl trying to find my way in life.

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Baby its COLD outside!

I've been slacking on blogging, but things have been super crazy around my house. Thanksgiving, my hubby's birthday, and a thousand other things have kept me from writing. However, I'm going to catch you up to speed on my running adventures starting now.

I don't know where you are in the world, but here in the bluegrass its FrEeZiNg! I'm talking it is 34 degrees here today. Brrrr! So I'm sure you can identify with me when I say its been very hard to get out and run, but I'm proud to say I have been running.

Today was by far the hardest day to run due to the low temperature. But I made myself get dressed in a couple layers and do it. I ran my longest distances of 1.28 miles and finished in 15 minutes. I managed to only slow down to a walk 2 times other than warming up and cooling down. (I credit not slowing down much to trying to stay warm.) My goal for this week is to run at least 4 times. I have completed 2 of those runs thus far this week, so I'm feeling good about hitting my goal.

I'm sorry to report that I haven't tried any new running products, but I have a feeling that I will be investing in some Under Armor very soon. (I'm going to need it this winter to stay warm while I'm out.)
Though I don't have any new products to report, I did stumble upon some really helpful information for shin splints!

For those of you who haven't heard of shin splints, here's the low down on the nasty little things. Shin splints are very painful and sometimes damaging sore muscles in the front of your legs. These muscles run from your knee to your ankle and if irritated regularly, they can cause stress breaks to the bones in the lower part of you leg. Most doctors recommend that you rest and not irritate the issue. However, if your like me, resting and staying off of your minor injury is impossible.

Of course I suffer from shin splints and it blows. After my very first run, my shin splints were so bad it hurt to walk. I even contacted a local doctor for advice on at home treatment. As I stated earlier, I was given the ol' "stay off of it and rest" speech. This did not satisfy me in the least. I started researching ways to prevent shin splints. After reading a lot of repetitive information, I found a YouTube video of a guy illustrating two types of stretches that help prevent shin splints. (I will post the link at the bottom of this blog) To my surprise, they actually worked! Not only that, but the stretches helped eliminate the current soreness I had in my legs. Its a MIRACLE!! (If you've ever had shin splints, you have literally felt my pain and understand my happiness.)

Here's the link to the video. I hope it helps you as much as it has me. (Oh and one more thing.... the guy in the video is a little depressing, so be prepared.)

http://youtu.be/E26G1aGbg7s

Happy Running!!
-Kara

No comments:

Post a Comment