About Me

My photo
I'm just a country girl trying to find my way in life.

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

2 mile mark, Muscles and 10 pounds thinner!

I did it! I made it to the 2 mile mark yesterday!! I'm so proud of myself. I FINALLY ran 2 miles AND it was FREEZING, raining out and it was dark. I had almost talked myself out of running yesterday, because it was dark out by the time I was free to run. There's just something about being out at night, by myself, running that creeps me out. (You never know who might get me! Though my dad always says they wouldn't keep me long.) So I credit my faster time to being creeped out that someone would kidnap me. (No joke I really did run faster.) Though I won't hide the fact that I found myself wanting to quit at 1.7 miles, I some how talked myself into going a little bit further and making it the 2 miles. The lesson I learned from that run... its mind over matter.



I do believe that if you can push yourself and really convince yourself to do something, you can and will do it. I'd never really experienced "mind over matter" (or not to that level) until last night. Its dedication that got my butt off the couch and out into the freezing and rainy weather, but it was my mind that pushed me make it the 2 miles. I'm really pumped that I was able to push myself, because now I know that I can do whatever I put my mind to...which will some day be a marathon!

So a couple of things to note.... I've noticed changes in my body since I've started running. The first is toe cramps. Oh my goodness! My right foot got a toe cramp yesterday, you wouldn't believe. My last 3 toes were curled up and wouldn't straighten out for at least 30 minutes. Now I've had leg cramps (Charlie-Horses) and other muscle craps before, but never a toe cramp. It was the craziest thing I've ever seen! So after ten minutes of the toe cramp not going away, I called my running friend to ask for advice. She informed me that cramps like I had in my toes were normal and to walk it out and drink lots of water. I took her advice and my cramp went away after some time had passed.

The second thing I noticed is my leg muscles are becoming more defined, especially around my knees. I am of course very excited about this change, because HELLO, who doesn't want sexy legs?! Hopefully the more I run, the more my legs will start to shape up and not have so much cellulite on the back of them.

The last and most exciting thing I've noticed about my body is..... I've dropped 10 pounds! After only running for almost a month, I've lost a good amount of weight and I'm so shocked! I never thought I would lose that 10 pounds that fast just from running. (Cause trust me I'm not watching what I eat.) Its very encouraging when you notice you clothes are loose and then you get on the scale and the number is lower than the last time you weighted yourself. That alone gives me for motivation to keep running. (Watch out! I might waste away to nothing! Yeah right!)

Not me... I wish it was though.



So for all of you out there trying to get motivated to start running and think that winter isn't the best time to start, you're wrong! It maybe cold out, but at least its not so hot and humid that you can't breath. Just remind yourself that you will lose weight, get healthier, be in shape and the pride you will have in yourself after you finish your first 5K, half marathon or full marathon! You can do it! Good luck!

-Kara


1 comment: